Yoghurt is made by introducing specific bacteria strains into milk, which is subsequently fermented under controlled temperatures and environmental conditions. The bacteria ingest natural milk sugars and release lactic acid as a waste product. The increased acidity causes milk proteins to tangle into a solid mass (curd in a process called denaturation). The increased acidity (pH=4–5) also prevents the proliferation of potentially pathogenic bacteria.
In most countries, a product may be called yoghurt only if live bacteria are present in the final product. In the U.S., non-pasteurised yoghurt can be marketed as "live" or containing "live active culture". Pasteurised products, which have no living bacteria, are called fermented milk (drink).
REASONS TO USE YOGHURT
- Yoghurt contain all milk nutritions
- Yoghurt is rich in potassium, calcium, protein and B vitamins, including B-12.
- The lactobacillus in yoghurt feeds the intestines, maximizes nutrients you can absorb into your body, insures the digestive system stays healthy, and stabilizes the immune system. Yoghurt has strong medicinal properties, including the ability to stimulate the immune system and kill bad "bugs" or bacteria in the human gut.
The secret to good yoghurt is that it contains live cultures, there are four major strains of bacteria to look for: L. acidophilus, L. bulgaricus, S. thermophilus, and bifidobacteria. There are good brands of yoghurt available check the label to make sure it specifies active cultures. Frozen yoghurt is not the same product and will not yield the same health benefits; even if they specify live cultures they will have only a fraction of the beneficial bacteria of fresh yoghurt and they will not enhance lactose tolerance.
- Lactose in milk is converted by Yogurt's bacteria into lactic acid which helps digest lactose or dairy products.
- The lactic acid of yoghurt is a perfect medium to maximize calcium absorption, which is 25% more calcium than you would get out of a glass of milk.
- Research shows women who drink 4 cups of yoghurt/week have less vaginal and bladder infections.
- Yoghurt can be used as an effective douche.
- Yoghurt gives you the anti-ageing benefits.
So, What are you waiting for? Drink Yoghurt everyday from now on!